Sri Lanka Post #2

We spent the first night in a small hotel on a busy street near the airport. The next morning after breakfast, we took a tuktuk to the bus station, and then took a bus to Colombo. The bus guy charged us for an extra person because of our luggage, which wasn’t even in a place where a person sits. Oh well… About an hour and we arrived at the train station, to find a train to Bentota. I’m glad my husband was there to take care of that part, cause I didn’t have any idea what line to get in and when I got my ticket, I headed for the nearest train, which was incorrect. I had to run back to catch up to the right train and nearly tripped over my floor length skirt. The photo from my last post with the fans on the ceiling were taken in the first train ride. It was really hot, but I was too fascinated with the views of the little shacks, and the ocean next to the tracks to care too much about the heat. My husband stood in the doorway of the train car the whole time. I preferred the safety of the train walls around me as we moved along at a pretty good rate of speed sometimes. There were sections of the tracks that were being built along the way, but were being used by the locals as a place to dry their laundry. I thought it was a pretty cool idea, as it was in the sun and it looked clean.

CAM00519 CAM00520

There was a tuktuk driver at the station in Bentota who “had a friend with a place where we could stay” so we went with him down these roadways that didn’t hold any promise to me as a place to stay, so we declined and had him take us somewhere else. We ended up at a place directly on the beach called Warahena. It was beautiful and rustic in looks. A breeze from the ocean could be felt as soon as you stepped out of your room. Food was served on the beach, weather permitting. and it wasn’t packed. the beach was very quiet and perfect for walking by yourself. The waves on the other hand looked way too dangerous for me. So I stayed out of the ocean. In fact there was a guy at the hotel who thought I was going to swim one day, and he warned me not to. CAM00528 CAM00526 CAM00530 I think the only down side to this place was the food. It just wasn’t great. My husband wanted good grilled (on an open flame) meat, and they just didn’t do that there. We ordered a side of bacon one morning with out breakfast and were quite shocked at the fact that it wasn’t edible. It might have been a couple months old…who knows. It was gross. After a couple nights here we headed back to the train station for yet another destination further south.

Next up we went to a beach town called Unawatuna. Cool place, with a laid back vibe. Keep in mind we were there during the slow season. We had booked a place online for a couple nights. This was to ease my travel stress more than anything, as I am the one in the relationship that likes a destination more so than my husband, who is more of an explorer. The place had a super relaxing atmosphere, and was under 20 US dollars a night. That got us a small bungalow with a tiny bathroom and a queen sized bed under mosquito netting, open windows for fresh air, and an overhead fan. Please note that mosquito netting doesn’t mean you will not get bit during the night. That night as we both laid in the sweltering heat. As I lay on my back with my arms placed on my sides, not touching the rest of my body because it was too hot for that, I thought to myself… “I wonder which one of us will cave first” And in my version of the story it was my husband who stated the next morning that we needed to find a place with air conditioning ASAP. He also may have added that he would probably use my pregnancy, and needing more comfortable air as a reason for backing out of our reservation. I was okay with it. I really was. I will add that in all the places stayed while on the trip, it was probably the most charming of them all.

CAM00544 Our bungalow. It was super cute. It was also super hot!

CAM00550 This particular bungalow on the property,  had a coffee and pastry shop with delicious croissants.

The nice thing about Unawatuna was that it seemed to be one main street with hotels, and restaurants all along the way, so taking a walk down the street and asking about prices got us our next place to sleep. We welcomed the break from the heat! In fact I believe I slept with a sweatshirt on the first two nights because the air conditioning was so cold to me

CAM00565 Originally we had a room on the middle floor shown in this photo, but the air conditioning wasn’t functioning correctly, so they moved us down one more floor.  CAM00564 The view was still lovely.

CAM00551 This was part of the beach at Unawatuna. Everywere we went, people told us that in a few months the waters would be like a bathtub. Smooth and clear.

We were also bombarded with locals selling things along the beach. They didn’t always take no as final. They would insist on showing you what they had in hopes you would crack and buy (in this case, gorgeous fabrics). I stayed strong and didn’t give in to this lady. Her bags were so packed and she was on the beach everyday!

CAM00557 CAM00554

CAM00558 I was craving ice cream one day as my husband took a nap, so I walked down the street a bit and found this hotel that looked promising for a mid afternoon snack. I ordered a banana split. It was literally the tiniest thing ever. The photo doesn’t show it, even though I placed the spoon in the dish as reference, but that didn’t work since the spoon was a baby sized spoon! It was darling, delicious, and I paid too much money for it.

I’ll upload more photos off of my phone for another post soon.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s